Thanks to the generous support of Knopp Biosciences, APFED will award 10 travel grants on a first-come, first serve basis to eligible applicants. The award may be applied to travel expenses (e.g., hotel, transportation, mileage, meal, and/or childcare costs) up to $500. Recipients will also have the nominal registration fee waived. Please review the qualifications and requirements for the travel grants and complete the form below to apply.
If you are a patient and would like to participate onsite, but the registration fee is problematic, please email firstname.lastname@example.org stating your need. For a list of travel assistance programs, see apfed.org/resources/for-caregivers/traveling/.
- Applicant cannot have attended an APFED conference in the past. First-time attendees only.
- Applicant’s and/or applicant’s child must be diagnosed with HES.
- Annual family income should not exceed $80,000 per year.
- Completed application
- Letter from physician documenting diagnosis
- Description of why applicant wants to attend the conference
- Projected expenses for transportation, hotel, and meals
- Copy of the previous year’s W2or similar documentation of income (with Social Security Numbers blacked out)
- No money can be awarded in advance of the conference
- Requests for expense reimbursement may be made at the conference and up to 30 days after the conference ends. Any requests for reimbursement that are received by APFED more than 30 days following conference conclusion will not be considered.
- To receive payment, recipient should download and complete this award distribution form and bring it to the conference. Additional copies of the reimbursement form will be available at the conference. We will email specific date/time at the conference when the forms will be accepted and checks written to recipients who provide the appropriate documentation.
- Supporting documentation may include copies of airfare, rail, public transportation, and hotel validated receipts and/or record of mileage. Meal per diems are calculated at $40.
- For mileage, simply record the travel mileage to and from your home and the conference location. Mileage consideration is based on $0.54 per mile.
- Conference registration fees will be waived for immediate family. Upon notification of grant award, instructions on how to register utilizing waived fees will be provided. If family has already registered, the registration fees will be refunded.
The deadline to apply for a travel grant is January 19. Please note that requests do not guarantee funding. Grants will be awarded on or before February 9 by email.
If supporting documentation is not available electronically it must be mailed to:
Attention: HES Travel Grant
PO Box 29545
Atlanta, GA 30359
Questions? Email email@example.com.