The annual scientific meeting of the American College of Gastroenterology (ACG) was held Oct. 22-27, 2021. The program featured lectures, posters, and case studies about a number of GI conditions, including EGIDs.
Several sessions were offered featuring experts that discussed pathophysiology, diagnostics and current management of EoE, as well as emerging treatments that may be the future of disease management. Experts also presented on the pathophysiology, diagnosis, and treatment of EGIDs below the esophagus, presenting the latest evidence for the efficacy of specialized diets and promising emerging pharmaceuticals that may soon alter the course of these diseases for many patients. Other talks included special considerations for evaluating and treating EoE in children compared to adults, and predicting EoE treatment responses.
There were also many posters presented on EGIDs; below are are some highlights with links. For full details and poster access, visit acgmeetings.gi.org
- Assessing the Influence of Tobacco, Alcohol, and Marijuana on the Development of Eosinophilic Esophagitis Access the poster.
- Association Between Eosinophilic Esophagitis and Esophageal Dysmotility: A Systematic Review. Access the poster.
- Development and Content Validity of the PROSE Daily Diary to Measure Dysphagia Episodes in Adults and Adolescents With Eosinophilic Esophagitis. Access the poster.
- Development and Validation of a Simple Eosinophilic Esophagitis Severity Score That Is Predictive of Key Disease Parameters After Treatment With Topical Steroids. Access the poster.
- Do Topical Corticosteroids Induce Histologic Remission and Improve Clinical Symptoms in Eosinophilic Esophagitis? A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis of Randomized Controlled Trials. Access the poster.
- Duration of Symptoms Prior to Diagnosis Is Associated with Repeated Esophageal Dilations in Eosinophilic Esophagitis Access the poster.
- Efficacy of Topical Corticosteroids in Achieving Histologic, Clinical, and Endoscopic Remission in Patients With Eosinophilic Esophagitis: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis of Randomized Controlled Trials. Access the poster.
- Eosinophilic Esophagitis: Have the U.S. Guidelines Made a Difference for Inpatient Outcomes? Access the poster.
- Eosinophilic Esophagitis National Trends: 2004-2014 NIS Data Retrospective Cohort Analysis. Access the poster.
- Estimating the Indirect and Intangible Costs Associated With Eosinophilic Esophagitis. Access the poster.
- Esophageal Eosinophil Count Does Not Correlate With the Endoscopic Reference Score Remodeling Subscore in Placebo-Treated Eosinophilic Esophagitis Patients in the Phase 2 Proof-of-Concept and Phase 3 TREET Studies. Access the poster.
- Health-Related Quality of Life in in Adolescents and Adults With Eosinophilic Esophagitis in a Real World Setting in the U.S. Access the poster.
- Increasing Prevalence of Eosinophilic Esophagitis in the United States from 2015 to 2018. Access the poster.
- Long-Term Safety of Budesonide Oral Suspension for Eosinophilic Esophagitis: An Integrated Safety Analysis of Phase 1–3 Clinical Trial Data.Access the poster.
- Patient-Reported Symptom Improvement Following Treatment With APT-1011 in Patients with Eosinophilic Esophagitis as Measured by the PROSE: Results from FLUTE, A Phase 2b Clinical Trial. Access the poster.
- Patient Satisfaction and Adherence to Corticosteroids in Adolescents and Adults With Eosinophilic Esophagitis in a Real-World Setting in the U.S. Access the poster.
- Patients With Eosinophilic Esophagitis and Gastrointestinal Symptoms May Have Eosinophilic Gastritis and/or Duodenitis, Not Associated With Peak Esophageal Eosinophil Count. Access the poster.
- Perceptions of Disease Stigma in Adolescents and Adults With Eosinophilic Esophagitis in the U.S. Access the poster.
- Post-Treatment Gene Scores Support Histologic and Endoscopic Response Thresholds in Eosinophilic Esophagitis. Access the poster.
- Predictors of Clinical Response and Efficacy of Esophageal Dilation in Eosinophilic Esophagitis Patients Access the poster.
- Quantitative Analysis of the Tug Sign in Adults: An Endoscopic Finding of Eosinophilic Esophagitis Access the poster.
- Steroid Exposure in Patients With Eosinophilic Esophagitis (EoE) From the United States. Access the poster.
- The Histological Scoring System and Endoscopic Reference Score Are Complementary Assessments for Characterizing Fibrostenotic or Inflammatory Phenotypes in Patients with Eosinophilic Esophagitis. Access the poster.
- Topical Steroids for Eosinophilic Esophagitis: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. Access the poster.
Subsets of EGID Below the Esophagus
- Endoscopy and Systematic Biopsy of Patients With Moderate-Severe Unexplained Gastrointestinal Symptoms Compared With Healthy Controls: High Discovery Rate of Eosinophilic Gastritis and/or Eosinophilic Duodenitis. Access the poster.
- Eosinophilic Colitis Accompanied by Synchronous Eosinophilic Esophagitis and Gastroenteritis. Access the poster.
- Eosinophilic Esophagitis With Subsequent Eosinophilic Colitis: Keeping a High Index of Suspicion. Access the poster.
- General Pathologists Do Not Routinely Evaluate Gastric or Duodenal Eosinophilia. Access the research.
- Lymphocytic Variant of Hypereosinophilic Syndrome Presenting with Gastroenteritis. Access the poster.
- Safety and Efficacy of Long-Term Treatment With Lirentelimab, A Monoclonal Antibody Against Siglec-8, in Patients With Eosinophilic Gastritis and/or Duodenitis. Access the poster.
- Similar Efficacy of Lirentelimab in Patients With New vs Prior Diagnoses of Eosinophilic Gastritis and/or Duodenitis in a Randomized Trial. Access the poster.
- Systematic Collection of Biopsies and Quantification of Eosinophils in Multiple High-Power Fields Is Required for Diagnosis of Eosinophilic Gastritis and/or Duodenitis. Access the poster.
>>> Learn more about the 2021 ACG Annual Scientific Meeting & Postgraduate Course at acgmeetings.gi.org.